Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nash Is Born

Well this post is only almost two months late but it has arrived, just like our sweet little boy, Nash.
 
On Sunday November 18th I woke up and had the feeling as if I had to pee constantly, or actually was peeing... I tried to ignore it because I knew what it was, my water had broke, and this wasn't the way I had wanted things to happen. I wasn't having any contractions and knew that I should head to the hospital just to double check if my water had in fact broken. It had so I was admitted to the hospital.
Since my water had broken and I didn't want an IV or anything they weren't able to check to see if I was dialated because of risk of infection but I had been 1cm two days before so I was probably still right around there. They gave me 12 hours to get contractions started naturally (the water had broken 12 hours before and your baby shouldn't go more than 24 hours without the protection of amniotic fluid) or they would intervene. I tried walking and bouncing on a ball and more walking and nipple stimulation and speed walking, I literally did laps around the maternity halls. Nothing worked. So about midnight they started a pitocin drip. One drop then two drops then three drops. I think it got up to five by the time I started pushing. My contractions were slowly progressing so they checked me about 3AM and I was only dialated to 3cm. We had to get things going so that I could have the natural birth I wanted so the Midwife went in and "broke up my cervix" to get it dialating. I have some scar tissue so she basically had to stretch out my cervix to get things rolling. That absolutely worked! My contractions got faster and harder. They were so hard and painful I had to be given two rounds of fetinal (not sure I spelt that right), a IV narcotic to give my body a bit of a rest from the contractions. It wasn't much of a rest really but if I hadn't had it I probably would've caved to an epidural and been supremely dissapointed in myself.
About 5:20 or so I was ready to push. My Midwife checked me and I was at 9cm and just couldn't hold in pushing so I went ahead and did it. I pushed and pushed and 20 minutes later I had my sweet baby boy on my chest.
It was incredible! All the ridiculous pain I had just endured and all the sleepless nights for the past few months and the carpal tunnel and the migraines and the sciatic pain, all of it was worth it once they placed him on my chest. We had an hour of skin on skin, no interruptions, it was awesome. He and I got our bonding in, everyone was able to meet him right away. Everything was just amazing and perfect. At 5:49AM on Monday November 19th we became a family of four.
 
Over the next 24 hours we had lots of visitors.
Aunt Essie and Aunt Melanie.
Uncle Kevin.
Grandpa Brad.
 
Daddy got to snuggle with his boy.
And Sister got to hold and stare at her new little brother.
He had his first bath.
And then they finally let us leave the afternoon of the 20th.

When we got home we had more visitors :)
Grandma Trudy
Uncle Michael.
And proud Grandpa Steve.
And of course Sister had to have her share of holding him too.
He's quite the sport about all this holding. Can't you tell? ;)
 
This little dude is already so super loved. He's quite lucky.

1 comment:

Paige Taylor Evans said...

He is so cute Katie! Great job :) Loved reading your story!