Friday, February 17, 2012

Crock-pot Awesomness

Yesterday I was pretty excited to go home, walk in the front door and smell the awesomeness of this,
that I knew would be waiting for me. Mmmmm, pesto chicken over potatoes and vegetables. The night before I had prepared everything and when Husband left for work the next morning he turned on the crock-pot for me. I love easy, simple and ready when I get home dinners, it's precisely what a full-time working Mom with an hour commute home needs. It was pretty delicious, but I'm gonna be honest, the chicken was a little dry because it simply sat on top of everything else, but I can fix that the next time by brushing some olive oil over the chicken pieces before covering them in pesto sauce.

Pesto Chicken Recipe (adjust quantity of ingredients to serve desired amount of people, I made enough for four adults)
6 Carrots, sliced
8 Medium sized potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 White onion, sliced
1 Scallion, sliced 
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Vegetable bouillon cube
4 Chicken breasts
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Cup pesto
enough water to cover vegetables

Chop up all vegetables and toss with garlic in crockpot. Fill crockpot with enough water to cover vegetables. Break up vegetable bouillon cube and stir into water. Brush chicken with olive oil and then smother in pesto. Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables and cook on low for 8 hours.

I am going to try and make Sundays my 'prepare food for the week day' but making several meals and freezing or refrigerating, or simply doing the preparations for meals and having everything easy and ready for me. This way I can spend more time with my family and less time in the kitchen. I'll make less of a mess too I'm sure. Win-win for everyone!

No comments: